NYC hit 90 degrees this week, which aligned with the start of a very full summer social calendar for the next several weeks and months. Graham and I went camping this weekend with our friends Dara, Chris and Craig at Harriman State Park. We had a fantastic weekend camping, campfire cooking, hiking, swimming, and taking some rowboats out for a (slow and awkward) spin.
This week my dear friend Emma arrives and we’re heading out on a road trip / literary pilgrimage to Prince Edward Island: home of our beloved Anne Shirley and L. M. Montgomery. We’ll also be swinging through Boston on the way there and back to see our dear friend Emily (together the 3 of us make up the Red Shoe Cult, established 2002 at Michigan State University). Graham will be holding down the fort in Brooklyn, and once Emma and I are back we’ll be doing a bit of low-key summer traveling in the States.
This week I shared a recipe for one of my favorite desserts: lemon poppy seed cake. (Top it with strawberries for a perfect summer dessert.) I also wrote about my favorite audiobooks of classic novels, and posted a travelogue about the day I spent in Mindo, Ecuador.
I’ve just finished The Truth According to Us by Annie Barrows, and will be posting a review of it this coming week. Now I’m starting Anna Karenina – my friend Emma and I are tackling this one together over the summer and I need to read part one before she arrives in New York for our trip. (Speaking of classic novels on audio – I really wish that the Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky translation of Anna Karenina was available on audiobook – it would make starting this giant novel a bit less intimidating.)
Graham and I have been re-watching favorite movies this week: O Brother, Where Art Thou?, The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, and Back to the Future.
I’ve just started listening to The Art of Communicating by Thích Nhất Hạnh. I’ve been on a Buddhism / Mindfulness / Meditation kick, and I’ve been wanting to read more by the prolific and awesome Thích Nhất Hạnh.
LINKING (Book Blogger Edition)
- Lauren’s Strictly Positive post is a wonderful read this week, as always, and even features an article nominated by yours truly.
- Tomorrow the #BlumeALong, hosted by Kerry @ Entomology of a bookworm, starts! I’m excited to follow along on the fun, even though I’m not formally participating (see Anna Karenina & P.E.I. trip above – I’ll be on the road & with a nose in Mr. Tolstoy’s novel for the next few weeks).
- A post that I very much related to by Leah @ Books Speak Volumes: On Rethinking Chick Lit and Judging Books By Their Covers.
- Shaina @ Shaina Reads shared thoughts on mixing up our book selections and reading outside of our comfort zones.
- Shannon @ River City Reading shared 3 reviews of books under 200 pages. I’m about to start an 817 page novel, and I think I’m going to be looking for some good short books afterwords to recover!
And that’s the week! How was your week? What’s new?