I was tagged by a couple people for the Eight Random Things meme. I was also tagged forever ago by Slow Learner for a book blog. I will post both of them now. (And apologies to Slow Learner for the delay!)
Eight Random Things
- Each player starts with 8 random facts/habits about themselves.
- People who are tagged, write a blog post about their own 8 random things, and post these rules.
- At the end of your post you need to tag 8 people and include their names.
- Don’t forget to leave them a comment on their blog and tell them they’ve been tagged, and to come back and read your blog for the whole story.
My Eight Things:
1. Many people know this (especially the book club girls, and also especially my mom and dad), but for those who don’t: I have a little brother who is 7 years old. His name is Benjamin and he is the cutest, smartest kid in the world.
2. When I was a senior in high school I was on a weekend retreat and went tubing down a hill onto a frozen pond. I went down on a tube with a girl named Rose, and we hit a bump about 20 feet from the bottom of the hill. I flew from the tube down to the ice below and landed on my back, smacking my head on the ice. I was taken to the emergency room and came back with 17 staples holding together two large cuts on the back of my head.
3. I am unable to keep up with the media that I wish to consume. I have too many interests, it seems. Despite how much I read/listen/watch, I still have: a million unread google reader items; two large stacks of magazines that need to be read/flipped through; a DVR that’s full of Conan Dave, Jon, and Stephen; a long Netflix queue; and an ungodly number of unread books on my shelves.
4. I’ve recently discovered a love of baking. It’s a very fun hobby; I love making everything from scratch. Recently I’ve found wonderful recipes for brownies, chocolate chip cookies, cream biscuits, and cupcakes and frosting. (A post about the cupcakes will be forthcoming.)
5. Today Ryan and I are going to buy Mario Kart Wii and I’m super excited.
6. I am allergic to lettuce.
7. My favorite holiday is Christmas.
8. My favorite food is mashed potatoes.
123 Book Meme
- Pick up the nearest book (of at least 123 pages).
- Open the book to page 123.
- Find the fifth sentence.
- Post the next three sentences.
- Tag five people.
The book is Random Family: Love, Drugs, Trouble, and Coming of Age in the Bronx by Adrian Nicole LeBlanc.
When he returned to his mother’s, after a summer at Rikers, Serena had gone to Robert’s, and her welfare benefits had gone with her. Lourdes hadn’t paid the rent in months. She was using more than ever and had been spotted hanging out in the abandoned building on Mount Hope.
(This post was brought over from emilyw.vox.com. Click here for the original post and comments.)